Donnerstag, 22. März 2007

Wood, impregnation and translation




My family has a company and we impregnate wood. As this may not make sense to everyone I looked up for the definition which says:


impregnate (CAUSE TO ABSORB) - to cause something, usually a solid substance, to absorb something, usually a liquid:This cloth has been impregnated with special chemicals for cleaning computer screens.


We do this with wood which absorbs creosote oil. The purpose is to extend the lifespan of wooden items like garden furniture, fences etc. But the most important articles are wooden poles and sleepers. As you can imagine the glossary I have to know to help my parents is not quiet the same I could learn or hear anywhere else. I must confess that I don't know the names of many trees in my mother tongue let alone in foreign languages (German or English). But a nice daughter as I am I tried to do my best. I found a website which has a glossary of wood terms- very useful (at least for me) maybe someday you'll have to deal with a similar topic too and you can have a look at it then: http://www.woodbook.co.uk/glossary




Keine Kommentare: