Dienstag, 10. April 2007

Jaywalking-Part 1


Jaywalking with the Irish is a book written by David Monagan, an American Journalist.
My great passion is travelling and I am dreaming since my childhood to emigrate myself. This is also the reason why I study languages- it brings me a step closer to this ongoing desire.
The topic of this semester are expats- what is also the story of Monagan's life-changing decision to migrate to Ireland.
I have never read a book of an expat before and my expectations were high. Therefore I wasn't surprised that I absolutely loved the book; I read the first few chapters in a row. Though the language is quite difficult for it is full of Irishisms, the plot and Monagan's gift for capturing descriptions couldn't stop me to read on further. Maybe there are to many information (about Irish history, tradition etc.) that I would like to know more about and I wish I had some background knowledge because checking them out would take an eternity (or it would be really boring to put the book down at every other page to Google the topic).
Soon my group will have its presentation and I guess I'll learn a lot new about the Irish.
I have found an interesting article about the book with a short biography of David Monagan on this site:

1 Kommentar:

B..logger absent. hat gesagt…

hey there stranger,
i bumped to your blog searching for jaywalking reviews and i'm glad i did. i find it very intriguing as we share the same interests so i'm looking forward to read more :)
take care,
bee