Mittwoch, 23. Mai 2007

McCarthy´s Bar

McCarthy´s Bar, written by Pete McCarthy, is a non-fiction travel book. Before reading it, I searched for some reviews and now, as I have finished the book, I must say they were completely misleading. True, it is hilarious and genuine but it is also a personal journey through the homeland of his ancestors. Believing it was entirely about getting involved into enchaining conversations and getting drunk simultaneously in every pub that is called McCarthy´s, I was not prepared for an Author in search of himself. After reading the first hundred pages and he visited only one bar I knew I was to expect something else out of this book. But I was not disappointed. McCarthy´s Bar is very readable due to its funny adventures and the right amount of background information. Unlike JI, it is incredibly fluent with some historical or geographical facts perfectly integrated into the plot. I also enjoyed his type of humour especially when he described German or American tourists. Although he has a deep connection to Ireland I cannot see why he differs himself from 2nd generation Americans. For the natives it probably does not make any differences either. As he was eagerly searching for a sign to show him the way back “home” I really hope he made the decision to take it to the next level. I surely would love to know what happened with him.

Keine Kommentare: